You’ve seen this type of drama play out online. (If you haven’t check this out.) A customer, for some reason, warranted or not, gets a bee in their bonnet and takes after you online, peppering you and your beauty salon brand with all kinds of hate.
Whether they are right or wrong is beside the point: you have the task set in front of you to not respond in kind. It does you and your brand no good whatsoever to get into a war of words online. To help avoid that kind of disaster, here are some tips that will help you limit the damage to your beauty salon brand!
- Be quick to respond – Don’t leave them waiting for days or weeks for a response. Respond when you first see the problem, and promise to get back to them with as solution shortly if you don’t have one right away, and then do that! If you wait too long, and the thread starts getting busy with others who aren’t even involved chiming in on your lack of responsiveness, you lose!
- Repeat, NEVER respond in kind! – Even though you really, really, really want to! You’ll lose this fight, as it’s you against the world. No matter whether you’re right, swallow your pride and count it as a cost of doing business.
- Take it offline if you can – Make your initial response in the thread, and then take it offline to IM, email or if possible the phone.
- If you love to mix it up, staff this out! – If every bone in your body aches to slug it out online, then you’d do well assigning this one to a person who isn’t nearly as fiery as yourself. Save that that fire for other parts of your business!
- Don’t delete the comment – You can do that later, if you want or need to. If you’ve handled this correctly, though, the offending comment is going to be buried by a lot of supportive ones, and no longer be an issue.
- Be sure to personalize the conversation – Make use of names whenever possible. Even if you have a staffer doing the work, have them sign their posts, Tweets, or whatever they are using. This helps in personalize the issue, and appears to help in defusing antagonism.
Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.